Packaging is essential in the food industry, providing security, support, and facilitating transportation. At Mérieux NutriSciences, we specialize in finding the ideal packaging solution that meets desired outcomes and complies with international regulations.
We Support Through Various Services
Our comprehensive support includes technical and legislative assistance to ensure strict adherence to regulations. We also evaluate accompanying documentation, such as conformity declarations and labels, and develop precise analytical protocols. Additionally, we assess compliance with approved substance lists for regulated material production. We further enhance the breadth of support we offer by harnessing state-of-the-art technologies like innovative extraction techniques and advanced high-resolution mass spectrometry.
In the effort to decrease the use of disposable products, there is a growing opportunity for reusable packaging. At Mérieux NutriSciences, we conduct comprehensive screening and migration tests to evaluate the potential release of harmful substances even after repeated use, including exposure to the dishwasher, oven, refrigerator, and more.
Biodegradability and Compostability
Mérieux NutriSciences performs composability studies according to UNI EN 13432:2002 standard. The tests we perform simulate the real conditions of a composting plant:
- Compost quality and ecotoxicity.
Renewable Raw Material Content
Whether recycled, compostable or biobased, packaging or objects in contact with food must guarantee the physical and mechanical characteristics that allow their perfect use. Mérieux NutriSciences performs tests to verify resistance and evaluate performance, such as:
- Traction, tearing, compression
- Drilling, fracture, abrasion
- Load, fall
- Testing of the requirements of bags for separate waste collection according to UNI
11451, UNI 7315, UNI 13592
- Resistance of materials and colors to repeated washing on tableware and reusable
To provide a global service on product sustainability, Mérieux NutriSciences collaborates with specialized consultants for:
- Life-cycle assessment (LCA) studies
- Minimum Environmental Criteria (MEC)
- Carbon footprint, Water footprint
- Circular economy
- Environmental product labeling and support for main environmental claims (compostable, recyclable, recycled content, etc.).
Recycling exposes packaging to possible contamination sources, so verifying its safety when used in contact with food is essential. To prove its safety, Mérieux NutriSciences performs:
- Assessment of the barrier effect
- Screening for the presence of hazardous substances, intentionally or
unintentionally added (non-targeted and targeted approaches, in particular on
specific markers in recycled products)
- Analysis of contaminants from the recycling process (e.g. MOSH and MOAH in
paper, degradation products such as stabilizers and antioxidants in plastics, etc.)
Many compostable items or objects from renewable sources (bioplastics, paper, etc.) are designed for food contact (containers, plates, dishes, bags): Their safety and suitability must be tested through:
- Overall and specific migrations
- Sensory tests (according to ISO 13302:2003) to rule out organoleptic changes in food
- Screening of Non-Intentionally Added Substances (NIAS)
- Analysis of specific dangerous contaminants, e.g., PFAS, MOSH/MOAH, etc.
- Evaluation of the technological suitability (instrumental and organoleptic tests
after use in the microwave, refrigerator, etc.)
Our methods apply to diverse product types, including:
Other Non-Regulated Materials
Chemistry Testing Resources
Arrange convenient and secure pickup of your samples through our fleet of couriers.
Supplies are available for sampling, packing, storing, and shipping your samples.
Manage your daily food safety system with our easy-to-use, reliable customer portal.